We are Better Off Now Than Anytime in History and The World is Progressively Getting Better - 21 Charts Which Objectively Demonstrate This
Between cable news, social media, and the profitability of selling fear, it's easy to get lost in the noise and think the world is in a bad place. It also doesn't help that the market has been more volatile.
In spite of all that, we are objectively much better off now than ever before. I wanted to end 2018 on a high note and illustrate that fact. Hopefully the next time it begins to feel like the world is coming to an end, this will provide you with a more positive (and realistic) perspective and context from which to view it...
1. The share of the world population living in extreme poverty is massively declining.
3. A greater number of people are living under democracies.
5. Each year less and less children are in the labor force.
8. Clean water is available to most of the world population and there are less people over time who don't have access to it.
12. Almost 80% of Americans have the entirety of human knowledge at their fingertips (i.e. smartphones).
13. In 1800 it would take 6 WEEKS to get from New York to Chicago. It now takes about 2.5 HOURS (Source: Google Flights).
14. Nobody is really at war anymore.
16. In the US, violent crime is way down.
20. And as a result we spend way less money on food.